The fork wear must be assessed at a frequency based on the severity of use and operational requirements.
For example, the monitoring of wear in the case of forks used for the handling of stone blocks in a quarry may be programmed on a monthly basis. In comparison the monitoring of forks used in a warehouse to place loads on wood pallets may be done on a yearly basis.
Vallée recommends the following easy procedure to assess the remaining capacity of a used fork:
- Indicate the initial capacity of the fork (1x)
- Identify the area where wear is the most severe
- Indicate the initial thickness at this specific area
- Measure the actual fork thickness at this specific area
- Input these data on the chart to obtain the wear rate and remaining capacity (see graphic)
Measure the capacity of your forks now!